One of our favorite recipes comes from the Kitchen Garden cookbook. The Roasted Beets with Toasted Pecans and Greens is a perfect blend of full, earthy flavors, crisp textures, and juiciness from the beets. Going off-book and adding creamy goat cheese or sharp blue cheese adds a decadent touch to this delightful recipe.
6 small beets
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
2 Tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Honey
½ Tsp Kosher Salt
Freshly ground pepper
½ Cup toasted chopped pecans
4 Cups Arugula or other tender greens
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off beet tops and and place the beets in a single layer in a heavy ovenproof frying pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast about 40 minutes (or until tender when pierced with a fork).
- Let cool slightly, then peel and trim the beets.
- Cut into rounds about ¼” thick.
- In a large, shallow serving bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and a pinch of pepper. Add the beet slices, pecans, arugula, and toss gently. Enjoy!